Saturday, August 25, 2012

Steve Maxwell vs. Danny Strahan


Due to the outcome of the August 7th GOP primary, I'm opposing Danny Strahan*, the Republican nominee, for Taney County Commissioner, Eastern District.

For those on Facebook, here is my candidate page, which features updates on the campaign, position statements, personal information, and online discussions.

What are the chances of an Independent candidate winning in red, red Taney County? That depends on how many people are ready to quit doing what has always been done - I believe thousands in our county are ready for new leadership.

In the 2008 General Election, about 8,600 voted in the eastern district. In 2012, I expect a turnout of as many as 10,000. The increase will be due to population increase, redistricting, and high interest in the Presidential and U.S Senate races.

Ergo, 5,000 votes ought to be enough for me to win. In the GOP primary, there were 5,224 votes cast. The winner, Danny Strahan, got 30% of the them (1,585 votes), followed by Tim Connell at 24% (1,236), Alan Lawson at 17% (900), and the remaining 1,503 votes taken by Mike Scofield (502), Travys Saffle (426), Charlie Stiffler (411), and Walter Rogers (164).

Please note that the anti-Strahan vote was 70%. Were Missouri a runoff state (some states require a runoff between the top two candidates if nobody garners 50% of the vote) it is nearly certain that Tim Connell would beat Danny Strahan, and be the nominee. (Although I publicly endorsed Alan Lawson, and stated my intent to stand down if he had won, it is also likely I'd have withdrawn had Tim Connell won.)

For me to win 5,000 votes, I'll need most of the 3,600+ who voted against Danny Strahan in the GOP primary, plus a great majority of the 4,000+  Democrats, Libertarians, and Independents who will vote on November 6th.

Doable, I say!

*NOTE: I DON'T MEAN TO DISMISS THE CANDIDACY OF PHIL BEVERS, WHO WILL ALSO BE ON THE BALLOT - I SIMPLY DON'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT HIS VIEWS TO COMMENT. FROM MY PERSPECTIVE, IF HE TAKES,  SAY 1,000 VOTES FROM STRAHAN, THEN I ONLY NEED 4,500 VOTES. 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely doable! Any forums/debates planned?

Anonymous said...

Lets make this happen.............Former Department Head............

Steve Maxwell said...

Thanks for the comments. No forums or debates are currently planned. Not sure whether to contact Mr. Strahan - I assume he would see nothing to gain. There would have to be a mutually agreed format, moderator, and venue. I would insist that the candidates be allowed to ask questions of each other. If anyone wishes to try to facilitate a debate, I'm interested.